Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Play Ball! for a Month




Do you know how rough the spring weather has been on our local sports teams? I’ll give you one example. Yesterday, I went to cover a high school baseball game between Winlock and Pe Ell. What I found at the field was the baseball team from Rainier. Upon further investigation, I was late for the game even though I arrived at 3:20pm, a full 40 minutes before first pitch. The game had actually stated way back on March 21st. The two teams had played two full innings and then was rained out and re-scheduled. Many fast pitch and baseball teams in the local area are almost caught up with all of their make-up games, but this one struck me as noteworthy. Ironically, Rainier was spotted an 11-0 lead due to their offensive explosion back in March and WIAA rules dictate that a game is called complete if one team has a 10 run lead after 5 full innings. Rainier added a few runs and Winlock was still held scoreless. Three innings of play lasted less than an hour, but the game lasted just short of a month.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker